Switched from Windows to Mac ... for my computer at least ... back in August. Things have gone pretty well. Takes some getting used to, but it's not the drastic change I thought it would be.
That's not to say there haven't been issues.
For one thing, the hard drive crashed. Now, support was good. Took it to the shop on a Tuesday, and it went off to repair (in Memphis, I think) and was back in my hands 48 hours later. That's not bad turnaround.
But, this week, I had the pleasure of trying to get support from BellSouth regarding my MacBook.
"Why?" you might ask.
Go ahead and ask. I'll wait.
Well, since you asked, I'm not always at home. And this week, I had need to dial in to the Internet.
Using a telephone line.
You know. Hit "connect." It goes beep-bip-bip-beep-beep-bip-bip-bip-beep-beep. Then it squeals. First a medium, then quickly a low, then a high pitched squeal.
Then it stops squealing and the word "connected" comes on the screen.
Ah, dial-up. The good old days.
Yes, I know. Many people connect via dial-up today.
But I don't.
But I did. Had to. Yesterday.
Got to try out my fancy Apple modem. And it worked.
Only, it seems, I haven't set up a dial-up connection in a long, long time. And never on a Mac.
So, naturally, I messed up.
Did get a screen in my browser that told me I needed to reset my password.
Reset my password?
Okay, I thought. Somebody at BellSouth has gone security crazy. Not that anything's wrong with security. Security is a good thing.
If done right.
Anyway, it told me I needed to use Internet Explorer to do that.
And, in case you missed it, I have a Mac.
Okay, to tell the truth, I do have Internet Explorer on my Mac. I have a utility called "Parallels" on my Mac. It lets me run other operating systems inside a window on my Mac.
And I have Windows XP installed. And, of course, it comes with Internet Explorer.
So, yeah, I have IE.
Only, the thing is, Windows XP won't work with an Apple modem. Unless I download a driver. From the Internet. Which I can't connect to unless the modem works to reset my BellSouth dial-up password.
Need the modem to get the driver to be able to use the modem.
So, I called BellSouth tech support.
First guy I spoke to didn't accomplish a whole lot, other than help me reset the password on the account.
But it still wouldn't dial in.
So, he connected me to another group.
They were sales, or something.
They apologized and sent me back to tech support.
This new guy was much more helpful. By the time he was done, I was online, doing what I needed to do.
And that was all well and good. Until I got home.
Was tired, and didn't write anything up after I got home.
Until this morning.
And I couldn't get online.
Instead, I got the "BellSouth password reset" screen.
Well, called them tonight. And, as it turned out, I needed to reset the password on the router.
Of course, it took them a bit to understand that I had a Mac, not a Windows machine.
Okay, yes, I could have gone over to the Wife's Dell. But I didn't feel like it.
Anyway, finally got the DSL modem reset. And the password on the router set. The little girl did good, once she understood the situation.
And now I'm back online.